Broxtowe MP Anna Soubry has demanded an urgent meeting with the leader of Nottinghamshire County Council after they refused an application for financial help from a Beeston business struggling to survive because of the tram works.
Following a campaign by Anna Soubry, the County Council agreed to compensate businesses who have suffered losses due to the tram works. Two weeks into the new scheme and the County Council has turned down one of the first applications made.
The rejection of the claim from Mason & Mason came after Council Leader Alan Rhodes and Transport Committee Chairman Kevin Greaves were shown the business last Friday.
Anna Soubry said, “I am appalled and dismayed that the County Council has rejected Mason & Mason’s application so quickly. It is quite incredible that, having seen the disruption in Beeston and the delays on roads all around Mason & Mason’s, Alan Rhodes has denied them the compensation he appeared to be offering just two weeks ago.”
Following Anna’s campaign the County Council agreed to compensation for all small businesses “where traders consider the works have had a direct and adverse impact upon business and can demonstrate a fall in income as a direct result of the work.”
Jeremy Lewis of Mason & Mason said, “so far our takings have fallen by over £27,000 during the tram works and we feel let down by the County Council. It feels to me like they’ve said they’ll look at cases from businesses outside the FAP area, but never really had any intention of supporting them in reality.”